Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pearl bouquet

In line with my goal to use as less real flowers as possible, I'm now halfway through my DIY pearl bouquet.

My inspiration was this..

photo credits

For my bouquet, I used pearls and added some crystals for that added shine. I've been working on this for about a month now. It's fairly easy to make and not too tedious. I'm just taking my time that's why it took me over a month. If done religiously, it can be finished in less than a week.

For those who want to make their own here's the items I used:

Materials:

  • wire (the thinniest one available at the local hardware stores)
  • floral wire used for sugared icing flowers
  • pliers
  • a strand of pearls (available in Quiapo craft stores)
  • a strand of crystals
  • ribbon (color of your choice)
  • rag

Steps:

  1. Cut the wire - it should be twice as long as the actual desired bouquet length. Mine was about 2 feet since I want my bouquet to be a foot long. I also made allowances just in case I decide to shorten it afterwards.
  2. Wipe the wires with the rag to make sure that they're not dusty.
  3. Get a wire and insert it in the hole of a pearl.
  4. ease the pearl into the middle of the wire and twist both ends of the wire in the opposite direction to lock it into place. 
  5. twine the dangling wire part together to form a single intertwined pearl stalk.
  6. repeat the process until the desired heaviness is achieved. 
  7. cut the floral wires in about 3 inches in length.
  8. use the same process for the remaining pearls and crystal, this time using the floral wire. 
  9. attach about 1 or 2 pieces to each pearl stalk for more volume. 
  10. cut the bottom edges for a more equal length.
  11. tie the whole handle with ribbon to hide the wires and for a much easier grip. 

Happy preps everyone. I'll post the pics as soon as I'm done.




4 comments:

blueyedjaxi said...

How many pearls and crystals?

chi said...

Hi!

The strand of pearls I bought is roughly 70-80 pieces each. I used 2 strands. As for the crystals, it's about a hundred pieces per strand. I only used one.

Sadee said...

So each Pearl is on its own individual wire?

chi said...

Hi Sadee!

Thanks for visiting. Yes, each pearl is placed on a single wire.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com